Monday, May 09, 2011

Budget goes haywire...

Just a few posts back, I wrote about how and why I have to save. The budget is planned for the house and I have to stick to it, if I want to take care of other financial responsibilities as quickly as possible. While I do manage to stick somewhere close to it, every month now, with a variation of 10-15% here and there, now the true colors are coming out.

When we shifted to our new house, I did not buy anything new. Absolutely nothing. Same old furniture, house hold appliances, curtains, decorations, you name it and it was old. The two new things that our house has, courtesy my relatives are : A washing machine, which I never had before.. Also considering the fact that I was getting too tired of washing all the clothes on a weekend, which comprised of a big laundry of the weeklong clothes, plus bedsheets, towels, bedcovers, linen, jeans and all, it had almost become a necessity for us to have one, but I was procrastinating since I had no money at all to afford one.. So the washing machine came as a house warming gift from one of my relative... As usual, I just hung the old curtains in the house which were more than 10 years old.. So another relative of mine, who simply loves decorating the house, insisted that I should get atleast new curtains, if not the matching bedcovers and bedsheets. While I chose the material, design, print for the curtains, she funded them..
So far so good.. I still dont have a sofa set for my living room and I am completely ok with it. I have lived with the cane chairs for the past 10 years and will continue with them for few more years to come. Now comes the dining table. The dining table doesnt have the chairs which go with it. They were some random chairs picked up by Mom when we were in Doon.. The dining table has its own story. Its more than 35 years old.. Its play has almost given away from the inside. The legs have become lose. The edges have worn away, but its usable. Now come the other things. Our refrigerator is more than 13-14 years old. TV is more than 12 years old. The music system is more than 11 years old. The press is 10 years old. My kinetic and car are more than 9 years old. We all know that all these things have a certain amount of life. Nothing is eternal. So while I had made a budget to keep my expenses at bay, other problems have started cropping up.

First the TV went off. One fine day, it refused to switch on. I called up the service centre. The guy who came, couldnt repair it. He said that some part has gone off, plus this model is no more in the market, so its difficult. But there was one ray of hope. He asked me to take it to one of the shop. Incase they are able to repair it, fine.. Otherwise the TV needs to be given away. I had no heart or money to buy a new TV. I tried my luck and luckily, the man at shop was able to repair it after almost 15 days but with no guarantee or warranty. He said clearly if this part goes off again, then the time to dispose off TV finally will be here. As it is its an old one. The old one will not fetch more than 1000-1200 Rs while the new one cost as much as I want to spend. One problem solved for the time being.

Now it was time for the refrigerator to start acting up. For the past few days I noticed whenever I keep something in the fridge, it turns stale, smelly and rottens up in just couple of days of time. Strange it was. Plus there was hardly any ice formation in the freezer. Again I called up the service centre. The man who came, showed me that there is a problem with the coil. The compressor needs to changed, plus the pipe and gas needs to be re-filled. All this would cost around 5000 Rs. I also asked him if I sell this fridge, how much will it fetch me. He said that it wont get more than 1200-1500 Rs. I dumped the idea of spending 5000 Rs on such an old fridge.. The new fridge will cost me around 16.5K but again I dont have that much money to spend on the new fridge. :-(

I am not even getting into the story of other appliances which have started giving me a problem - press, toaster, mixie plus my vehicles. I have no clue what to do. I can happily live without a TV but I need the fridge. It seems that there is no point in making the budget. The more I try to save, the more I end up spending. The whole universe around me is planning to go against my plans of saving to finish up the home loan quickly. Now again either I get a new job with a higher moolah raked in or live with these problems. I am so very fed up these days with all the problems over my head. I desperately need a break or a solution.. God!! Please help...

4 comments:

D said...

Looks like the gadget God isn't happy, needs to be appeased :(

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

Don't be disheartened. Things like this have a way of working out. Things always have to go bad before they get better :). Now, practically speaking, one thing good about Pune is because of the huge college/young professionals/expat crowd one can always find good quality second hand stuff at fairly low rates. I remember I got my first 2 washing machines (first semi-automatic and second automatic) as well as my first 2 fridges (165lts and then slightly larger, don't remember exactly) ..all second hand ...before I finally got brand new ones. All of it in good working condition. All lasted me well over 6 yrs. I'd recommend asking people in your company whether anyone is looking to upgrade the appliances they own. Usually colleagues will be happy to give away their old stuff at reasonable prices (even with the possibility of payments done in parts) if they are planning to by new stuff.

Lastly, get in touch if you need help. You know how :).

- steve

weourlife said...

Ah its tough times..Hang in there..This too shall past..Hugs to you..

Psych Babbler™ said...

As Steve said above, you may be able to find a second hand fridge. It sucks how things tend to all get spoilt at the same time. I find that it happens with me too...it's Murphy's law. If things can go wrong, they will! But yeah, totally get that you need a fridge but don't need a TV. Good luck...hope all goes well...