Friday, April 29, 2011

I saved someone's life today....

Not practically but in some way... Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I donated blood today.. I have done that quite a number of times in the past so I look forward to it.. I am extremely scared of needles, injections, blood, the whole atmosphere.. Still I put up a brave face and go.. I just turn my head away when they prick. I dont look at the blood pouch or any such thing.. The best thing is the story that follows every time. Given that my size is fairly on the smaller side, people find it hard to believe that I can donate blood as well.. It has nothing to do with my good health that I have otherwise.

First time when I went to donate blood, our business head was standing in front of me. He was known for his jovial, cheerful and on the spot one line statement... He knew me well.. The first line that came out of him for me was: 'Has she come to donate blood or get some. I hope she doesnt fall after donating.' As luck would have it, just 10 days after donating the blood, I was down with severe chicken pox and very high fever for more than three weeks.

Last time when I went to donate the blood it was around afternoon.. As a process my haemoglobin test was done. It was positive. The doctor's remark :'You are the first girl whose haemoglobin is positive. We have rejected all the girls since morning.' My reaction, with a big smile on my face: 'Dont go by my size. I eat well'.. After that most of the girls who came, their results were positive. He referred me as their lucky mascot. Once the donation was over, they made me sit for a few minutes though I did not eat anything that was offered. The moment I got up, the doctor noticed that through the small handyplast that was stuck on my hand, blood was flowing and dripping profusely on the floor.. Some adventure had to be there. He was horrified, gave me some more cotton and made me sit for next few minutes. When I was leaving, he warned me to come and see him immediately if blood comes out again.

Today when I went in the morning, there were many girls in the waiting. As luck would have it, most of them were being rejected because of low haemoglobin. But I like a lucky girl, passed the test, much to he amusement of many people around me.. The common story that happens every time is to find my vein. My hand is quite transparent in terms of veins. You can actually count the veins that run right up to the shoulder. I know it
sounds weird. But when it comes to finding the correct vein to pierce the needle in, none of the doctors seem to find it. They always struggle. They move from one hand to the other, in the hope to find it. Today the doctor asked me :'Do you remember from which hand you donated the blood last time?' Ofcourse I did not. Somehow they managed to find it. Finally!!! So I donated the blood again today and came back all glee and happy.

6 comments:

weourlife said...

Well done girl, we are proud of you :)

Pilot-Pooja said...

Nice, hope you eat well for atleast a week.

Psych Babbler™ said...

I haven't donated yet. Too scared and squeamish. And more so because I know people find it hard to find my veins! I probably should consider it some day though. Good on you for doing your bit!

D said...

My haemoglobin's perfect, better than most others', but I can't donate blood because I'm asthmatic :(

Pepper said...

Awesome. I wish I could donate. My weight is never good enough for them..

yann said...

I have always wanted to donate blood! This entry reminded me I have to do it soon! My sister and I had an accident when we were young. The doctors rushed to save her life and they ran outta blood! Thank God, a man volunteered to donate and saved my sis's dear life. So.. kudos to brave the needles,your donation is definitely life-saving!