Friday, March 11, 2011

Posts, Postman and Post Offices..

Yesterday while going to the client ofice, I saw a postman, in his khakhi uniform, on his bicycle in the scorching sun, with a bundle of letters. It brought back the days in Doon when we used to wait eagerly for the postman to arrive with our letters. Except for Sunday and other gazetted holidays, every single day we got letters in our home.

It was so normal for us to see the postman everyday. Infact the day he did not come, we wondered what had happened. He was an old man inhis 50s, who had been coming to our house for many many years. Infact in all my years of stay in Doon, I saw the same person. He used to come on foot, with a khakhi bag and a few in his hand. All the letters were neatly arranged according to the addresses. He covered the entire area on foot. I was amazed by his memory and energy. Even if someone had written a wrong address, still he delivered the letter at the correct address. How could he remember everyone's name and address so distinctly. It was not a small area that he covered. I remember Mom always gave him sweets on Diwali and he was ever so thankful with a smiling face.

Its a change now. We dont write letters anymore. We dont send cards. We hardly use the post office. These have been replaced by emails, e-cards, phone calls, sms, courier service. The time has gone when we purchased cards, wrote letters, put stamps and post them. Then wait anxiously for the reply. Whenever I used to spot the postman on the road, I asked, if he had any letter for any of us.

I miss going to the post office, posting letters, cards and more importantly receiving replies. No matter what the season was - scorching heat, heavy rains or nail biting cold, the postman came and delivered the letters on time. I admired that old man, how he remembered every individual's name in our house. He knew all five of us by name. At times, we gave letters to him to post in the post office. Now the situation is, forget about the letters and postman, people have forgotten about a thing called Post Office. The collection of different stamps, spotting the postman, the smile that he brought with those letters is still unmatched. I love the feeling of those hand written letters, being pasted, stamped and then posted. How many journeys that letter does before it finally reaches our hands. I miss all of these..

5 comments:

Pilot-Pooja said...

Like your post!

But i still wonder why would he visit your house daily, may be he was delivering smthing which was part of your parents occupation, technical editions,magazines etc!!

How do we know said...

and.. r u feeling any better now? (ref the March 10 post. ) if u still need that change, lets have cofi, since we are both in GGN.

Soulmate said...

@Pooja - Thts the catch.. we always got letters everyday...
@HDWK - I was there till last June.. Now I am in Pune... Didnt meet anyone all the while I was there...

yann said...

was just blog walking.. The entry caught my attn =) I work for Singapore Post. In the Post Office branch I work, we do more than just getting people to buy stamps and post letters. We do remittance, financial service and collecting bill payments etc. What u mentioned reminded me how I used to look forward to receive letters from my penpal when I was in my teens. =)

self employed courier said...

nice article on posts, postman and post office.