Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Royal Rajasthan

So I went on the last vacation of 2009 in the last week of the year.. From Christmas till new year.. and what better place could be to celebrate the holidays than our royal Rajasthan.. The places were Jaisalmer and Jodhpur. I went to Jodhpur a year back as well when 2009 was about to dawn, and knowing how wonderful the city is, I had no inhibitions in going there again.

The trip started with a roller coaster ride since I was late in planning for it. Still we managed to get the hotels booked, but the problem was the train tickets. No flight tickets were available and even the train tickets were done at the last moment and that also in sleeper class. Phew!! Its been ages since I traveled in sleeper.. Considering the winters, I knew its going to be tough for both Mom and me. The train stopped at such small stations in Rajasthan, I had never heard about before. The advantage of travelling in the sleeper class was that I got the chance to click some photographs..


After a long 18 hour train journey, we finally reached Jaisalmer and boy!! I had my heart in my mouth when I stepped out of the station. It was a beautiful, small station with intricate carvings done in the white sandstone and no coolies around to help you with your luggage.. Reached the hotel - Pithla Haveli. The first day/night was at the Sand dunes. I had heard a lot about the dunes, had seen umpteen pictures and had a dream of visiting them once. And it was a dream come true. The sand dunes were amazingly beautiful. The camel ride, sitting on the dunes, watching the sunset was a beautiful experience. The evening was spent with a bonfire and watching Rajasthani cultural dance and music program. The night was spent in the tents under warm duvets in the silence of the dunes. Its a different experience and I loved it. Next two days we spent exploring the small city of Jaisalmer - The fort, havelis, gadisar lake, Jain temple, silver jewellery, handicrafts, sandstone crafts, rajasthani food which consisted of Kadhi, gatte ki sabzi, kair sangri, bajre ki roti, dali, baati, choorma, kachori.. Everywhere all I could see was beautifully carved white sandstone which gives the look of wood - so intricate, symmetrical and so beautiful.

After spending three days in Jaisalmer, we were off to the blue city of Rajasthan -Jodhpur. I had fell in love with this city last year and was in the same enthusiasm this time as well. The stay was at Shriram Excellency hotel. True to its name, quite a decent hotel... In Jodhpur, I went beserk with shopping.. It seemed Mom's whole and sole purpose of visiting the city was to shop, shop and shop more.. and Yes, the city is a paradise for those who want to shop.. so there were sarees, suits, jootis, bags, bangles bought for self and as gifts for various people... Saw the beautiful Mehrangarh fort and the blue city from its ramparts.. The sunset again was beautiful in the city. New year eve was celebrated at the Air Force Station. The officers, ladies and the kids, lovely decor in the lawns. It was chilly but still it was nice. Danced till the new year dawned. The best part about attending parties in such places is that even if someone is drunk, they know how to behave themselves. No cheap crowd where you save yourself from a touch here or a brush there.. The food again was Rajasthani. Chakke ki sabzi, naan, veg jodhpuri, kadhi pakodi, halwa, mawa kachori, dal... The whole week I had Rajasthani food and I was not tired of it. Absolutely finger licking, lip smacking and mouth watering food..

All in all it was a great trip. I had the time of my life eating, shopping, roaming, relaxing and soaking the beauty of the dessert and the sand. It is a must visit place if you havent till now.. Rajasthan's royal beauty - where you feel like a queen just like those who lived there once...

1 comment:

D said...

Rajasthan is such a tourist's paradise!