Monday, September 14, 2009

Socially Networking

A few days back, after a discussion which resulted into an argument with the Boss, left me upset. The discussion was obviously related to work where in there are no issues and thats what her issue was.. Weird, it can get sometimes...

Anyways, the discussion/argument got over.. I cribbed for the rest of the day. First thing, when I reached home, was to open one of the social networking sites and put up the status, which clearly mentioned that I had a bad day due to an argument with the boss and how I hate the managers... This was my way of giving vent to my anger and pleasing myself…

Well, the status did create a few sparks.. I got a message from one of my dearest cousin, saying that I should not put such message as my status, lest it is read by people and mis-understood. It can prove dangerous. While, I dont deny his point, the sole reason for putting the message, was to release my feelings which I could not tell anyone. And yeah, the way we all use these sites, anyone can easily track our daily routine and follow our lives…

Sometimes, I do feel the danger around it.. The question is, is it worth taking the risk – the risk could be bigger than what I have put here.. Putting your professional and personal life at stake, we sometimes get so hooked to these sites. While I am not as regular as other people who update it almost every or couple of hours about their status, but yes, I do try to update it once in a day or once in two days… Still, it generates a lot of curiosity among the friends and others who are able to see the profile. I remember, once I had put the status as: ‘Looking forward to a new life, new beginning’ and everyone thought that I am getting married, much to my amusement…

Such is the influence of these sites. Being open to the whole world and letting them sneak into our thoughts, feelings, updates, statuses.. But I guess, thats the price we all pay, if we are so 'social'... Isnt it..

3 comments:

Cynic in Wonderland said...

Oh yes. ANd scarier still is when some people persistenly react and reply to some of these status messages. Somehow it becomes less a vent and more of a airing dirty clothes thing. guess the idea is to vent cryptically. takes care of both aspects.

ani_aset said...

aah didn know someone is going through something similar :D
take care

D said...

Companies are now scanning prospective and current employees' profiles on social networking sites to keep a tab on what they are upto. So yes, the danger is very much there.