Tuesday, March 03, 2009

The big fat Indian wedding

Back from a cousin's wedding and I have whole lot of things to say. I am the kind of person who always runs away from attending marriages. There is no special reason.. Just that they are too tiring, boring, too much of decking up, smiling (sometimes fake as well), meeting even the unwanted people and greet them.. I know I sound like a ungrateful person but I cant be diplomatic.

So the wedding was nice. Lots of running around, exchanging of gifts, rituals, ceremonies, the guy's side throwing tantrums, the baraat arriving late, dance, mehendi, the long never ending days, the late nights, the early mornings, getting ready, making all the arrangements, taking care of the guests.. The list is endless.. Though I was the elder one, still I managed to grab the groom's shoes and then do the negotiation..

We were supposed to look our best all the time. Then all the recommendations start coming. Wear this saree with that jewellery with this bindi and that lipstick and this footwear and that hairdo... Phew!!! Too much... One of the reasons why I run away from attending marriages... I was thinking about the poor bride.. How much does she have to go through in all this. I was much better than her. Everyone had their own suggestions to give her... Being close cousins, we simply told her to be quiet.. Listen to everyone, but in the end, do whatever pleases her...

It was as if, this was the platform to flaunt your wealth, money, diamonds, swarovskis, gold... No matter how the design looks, whether it suits you or not, it should be shimmering all the time.. Bigger and more the number of diamonds, the better it is - according to them... Too much of glitter which I cannot handle.. My idea is be elegant at the same time, be classy... No overdose.. I cant look like a X'mas tree..

After 4 days of lots of very nice and some irritating moments, the wedding was over. I guess I was the one who enjoyed the most, since I clicked the pics as well as managed to interact with everyone including the guy's family and get to know some nice people. It was certainly a milestone to be achieved.. Now I am waiting for the photographs and the videos...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you need to be (or why you wanna be) decked up if you know it's not your wedding but you attending one?? You acknowledge it, but isn't that like "???"? But I'm sure it's "some" kinda reason why you gotta to what you gotta do...

Would love to look at the pix though...

Cynic in Wonderland said...

...not to mention SO much unsolicited advise on life. You know i always think that at indian weddings all the relatives have their own agenda - which they want to do. the bride and groom are incidental. which leads to a lot of angst and ill will as well.

Soulmate said...

@anon - Sir, you dont even write your name and you expect the pic to be published!!!

@cynic - Having seen so many weddings, I am scared at the thought of going through the whole ceremony myself...