Thursday, December 11, 2008

To Doon and back

Growing up in a small town has its own advantages. As a child I used to love walking to the school, later going by cycle. I never had very high ambitions of working in a multi- national or earning a big fat salary, what I earn now. But one thing was there.. I wanted to work. I used to tell my Mom that I will not stay permanently in Dehra Dun.. I will move out one day.. My relatives used to explain that the quality of life in Doon is much better than any other city. It has everything that one can ask for, to live a peaceful life. But after graduation, I wanted to stay in a bigger city..

I still remember how much I cried, the day I got a job in Pune and never got a chance to go back to Doon.. It was because of the fact that I was in Mumbai on a vacation at that time. Applied for a job in Pune and there it was.. I could not even say a final good-bye to the city, my house, my street, my friends, my relatives... There was a time when I did not get a chance to go back to the city for 4-1/2 years... How much I missed each and every bit of the city.. Those lovely mountains which I could see from my bed.. The snow, the green trees, the fresh flowers, the birds chirping, the squirrel dancing, my pet playing, the sun playing hide and seek with the clouds.. each and every bit of Doon I missed and I miss it even now..

I have now realized that no matter wherever I go, I would always want to go back to Doon. Every time the engine pulls the train into Dehra Dun, there is an excitement and joy in my heart.. There is a strange feeling of peace.. I feel safe.. I feel as if the city always welcomes me with its open arms... I generally reach Doon in the night and still there is no fear. I know that this is my city. I have grown up there, studied there and made myself capable to face the world outside.

Now when I am staying in a big city for the past eight years, first Pune and then Gurgaon, I realize how much I miss Dehra Dun. For me its still the place I want to run back to, after a day's hard work. I know I dont go often to Dehra Dun - time constraints do not allow me to do so. I am at a stage where I want a holiday for a couple of weeks and spend in Dehra Dun. I want to experience the life again. I want to meet my friends, teachers, relatives, walk, run and live all over again.. I want to experience its winters, rains and summers again. I want to experience the warmth of the sun in the winters, the cool breezy evenings of the summer, the little rain droplets, the spring, those small lanes, the local market, the bakery, walking past my school, college way upto the Rajpur Road.

I had never thought that I will miss Doon so much once I leave that city. It may be because of the fact that the city made me, what I am today that I miss it so much. It has given me everything that I would ever want from life. It has given me friends for life, education, love, peace, security. I want to rest in peace in Doon forever...

3 comments:

Silvara said...

Oooh my mausi lives in Dehradun!! I loved visiting there because it was just so crisp and fresh!

I can totally understand why you would miss it so much..

Neilina said...

Oooooh....I can understand...am also staying far from family, my city! Gurl, seems you are feeling nostalgic, go visit your city sometimes soon.....

BlueMist said...

I have never been to Doon. but I guess I have similar feelings for Bangalore even if it is not my hometown. If there is home ; it has to be Bangalore for me :)