Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hand Written!!!

How many times has it happened to you, that you have to write some important letter and instead of actually writing it with a pen, you resort to your PC or laptop.. Open MS-Word and start typing... Take a print out and send it across.. Easy and fast... Isnt it...

Well, I am also quite like that... Over the years, I have actually stopped writing with a pen.. Even during meetings, I prefer to make the notes on a notepad on a PC rather than writing them down... First it was to improve my typing speed... Now it has come to a situation that I type faster than I can write.. But the side effect is that my hand-writing has become bad from good.. and its on its way to become even more worse... I cannot hold pen properly, leave aside write...

All this while I was planning to improve my hand-writing by writing one page daily; I had to write a letter to a friend. Since the friend had limited or you can say, actually no access to internet, the only option left is to write a letter by hand which will be posted. I wrote a long letter and what a task it was...

First the search for a letter writing pad... I used to have lots of them till sometime back.. But now I had to search for one.. Once I found the pad, then the search for the right pen, which I can hold for a long time. Which will not pressurize my fingers too much and something which is an easy to write with and the ink also flows properly.. Then I realized, it would be better to write on a rough paper first.. I am not used to writing and I dont like cuttings in the letter incase I write something wrong.. This is not a wordpad where I can simply erase and re-write incase I find something not put across properly...

This actually looks like a big task to me.. I sat down to write the letter. I thought that it will not be more than a few lines since I do not have the patience nor the inclination to write big letters by hand anymore.. Once I started writing, it went on and I had to force myself to stop writing after 4 full long sheets.. The bigger size ones... Wah!! I was amazed myself... How could I write so much.. The best part was that even on those rough papers, I did not make any mistake.. There was no cutting.. I patted myself...

Now the real task was, writing it again on the letter pad.. Thats where the exam started.. It took more than an hour to write the whole thing again on a letter pad which had such small gaps between the lines.. The speed has become really really poor... My hand was aching very badly...

But I was happy at the end result... The hand-writing is not up to my best mark, but it was not bad either... I am happy that I could write a letter after so many years and that also a personal one.. Am sure the friend will be delighted to receive a hand-written letter from me..

The last time when I had written so much was almost eight years ago when I was in the college... Once out of it, writing by hand became less and less to the extent of being minimal.. From someone who got +5 in school for presenting such neat note-books and exam papers, its hard to believe that I am struggling to write a few lines... I still remember the day when my Economics register in class XI and XII was circulated among the students to copy the notes.. The teacher had got the whole register Xeroxed since he found it the perfect one to pass the notes whosoever could not attend his classes...

Now days pass by without me having to write anything with a pen.. I know this is the culprit for bad hand-writing.. To be true, I felt bad for not being able to write as I could before.. I have decided to write a page everyday to improve my hand-writing and my ability to hold the pen again properly.. Hope this helps to an extent..
While I write this post, the pen and the notebook is waiting for me to write today's page...

1 comment:

You know Who said...

Agree with you .... Need to write a lot to gain the ability to write elegantly which is lost by becoming a s/w engineer ... :-)