Thursday, July 03, 2008

Girl - Bread winner??

I know this is quite a controversial topic but I cant keep myself away from it.. Especially after having a long discussion on it with a friend... All the conversation started with me wanting a break from this monotonous routine... I was on the verge of saying that I dont want to work for sometime... Need a break, want to either chill at home or go on a long vacation or study further....

As the conversation progressed, I shared that this is not possible as of now.. The break is not possible.. For this I will have to leave the job and right now its not feasible for me... I dont have enough savings to support myself for the next two years without working.. The way the inflation is rising, its all the more difficult.. The friend remarked that why am I being the bread winner of the family... It went on to the extent of accusing that being a girl I should not have to worry so much about the house hold expenses... I should be taken care of and a 'male' member in the family should be doing all this... This surprised me..

I realized that this was getting too personal and I didnt want to share my personal life like this... I simply had to tell him that there is no point in arguing.. I know what I am doing and what others in my family do... I dont need to prove a point to him....

What was worth noticing was that even in these days, people think that a girl cannot be a bread winner of the family. Why not.. If the boy and the girl are educated on the same lines, then why can’t a girl support the family, even if it is out of choice... what is wrong in it?? Why cant people still accept the fact that the girl is supporting the family and she is capable of doing it. We talk about equality and then this discrimination comes from people who call themselves educated. Talk about gender bias, or a typical male chauvinist or a hypocrite...

No comments: