Friday, June 13, 2008

Comparisons

Comparisons - How much I try to keep myself away from this word!! The reason being I dont like it.. I dont like to compare anyone with anyone. But the truth is that the more I try to run away from it, the more it gets closer to me and stays with me.. It comes in every form and everywhere - home, office, among friends, relatives, peers... I guess it sometimes creeps into our love life as well....

I have seen comparisons being made and voiced ever since I was a child... In school, in college, while I grew up I saw among siblings and cousins, then in my office - between managers, between team members, between friends and now I see that in love life as well.. I have somehow never liked to make any comparisons between anyone.

My opinion is that everyone is an individual and has his own individual personality. You cant expect person A to behave in the same manner as person B.. Comparisons have always disappointed me. Why cant we accept the person the way he is.. Why do we always compare him with someone else... Are we not bringing down the importance of him by doing that?

The biggest comparison that I saw recently was in someone's love life. How a friend of mine was comparing her boyfriend with her ex-boyfriend. Her present boyfriend dotes on her and does everything for her, one can dream of. The only short-coming that one could see is that he is slightly bald and dark. According to her, her Ex was really good looking and looks matter a lot.. I simply could not digest the fact that even though her Ex left her and is on his way to marry someone else, still she is comparing her present with her Ex.. It needed some amount of coaching to her, to make her realize that her present is not that bad, the way she thinks. Not that she is gorgeous or stunningly beautiful or a glam doll...

If someone ever tries to compare me with someone, I shut my ears.. I cant hear anything and dont even want to hear.. I cant be that person and that person cant be me.. So let the two remain, the way they are... I dont say that I am perfect.. I dont even intend to be... I am just me.. I dont like comparisons and dont do it myself.. I prefer to keep them away as much as possible, atleast try to.....

No comments: