Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mesmerizing Voice

My profession of Software Engineer requires a lot of talking. Prior to the current job, I was in Production Support team where day in and day out we interacted with the business users and core team for the software fixes. The communication was not restricted to emails, timestamps or instant messengers but telecommunication as well.

So while it used to start on an official note with business being discussed, it always ended with the note: It was nice speaking to you. In the beginning, I thought that its just another gesture, etiquette which is followed. Later on I realized, that no one else was told this except for me. The communication over the phone grew a lot since we got into too many projects and most of the times critical tasks. The best way to communicate quickly and easy, was over the phone. I could not wait for the mail to be sent or its reply.

I became quite popular among the users. They were actually mesmerized by the tone, accent, voice - call it whatever you want. I personally dont feel that there is any kind of modulation or accent in my voice. I speak very normally with the users, the same way I speak with others here. There were cases, that the business users whenever visited India, came specially to our floor to meet me , much to my embarrassment. They sent chocolates, gifts and others were suspicious about it. Even my managers used to ask me, why is it no one in the ODC got anything from the users, except for me. I had no answer to this. One extreme case was when a person in UK asked a colleague of mine, who was supposed to travel to UK, to get a picture of mine.

I am no orator or someone who participated in debates while in school or involve in speech therapy. But yes, whenever I have spoken over the phone to people who do not know me, get attracted to the voice, much to my amusement. Till now I have not been able to figure out the reason behind it. I sound very much the same on the phone, as in person, but still people are mesmerized by the voice. Do they hear a tinkle or a smile or warmth in the voice, I am not sure of. Now if someone says, that they like to speak to me, because they find the voice attractive, my reaction is : Oh No!! Not again...

I am not sure whether having such a voice is a boon or a bane..

5 comments:

pilot-pooja said...

Great to hear this Soulmate dear.....

Can i have the honor of having ur phone no. please :-))

Soulmate said...

Cant publish my number on a public site like this.. :-)

pilot-pooja said...

Hmm..if thats the case let me do that when i reach back GGn..$

Pilot-Pooja said...

Are you on orkut!!

Soulmate said...

Yes I am.. Shall find you on orkut. Pooja Gupta.. Right.