Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Confirmation

One of my team member was due for confirmation. Being the Project Leader, we were asked whether the person is performing according to the expectations set. This made me wonder. Till now there have been no issues with anyone's confirmation. I have a fairly good amount of 15 team members with varied capabilities and abilities. A slight deviation here and there was always acceptable.

But this particular associate's performance had been an issue ever since she joined the team. Her attitude towards work, team was putting off everyone around her. There had been issues with all her work. No interest shown in learning or completing the work, despite getting all the help from her mentor. No responsibility shown. She just had to spend nine hours in office. If at any day, the work required to stretch for an hour or so, she had excuses. Every other day taking leaves on the pre-text of being sick. There were days when she came to office but left in an hour or so, saying that she wants to go home. No amount of counselling/coaching was helping.

When the time for confirmation came, I actually had to think whether I would want to confirm her. I had a meeting with her and my Project Manager and both were apprised of the situation. We were all on the same page regarding her performance. Even the associate agreed that she is not doing what she is supposed to do. We gave her the option of improving her performance in a month where she will be closely monitored and then we will decide whether to give her confirmation letter or not.

I am not sure about how the associate was feeling. But I was feeling very bad. Someone's career was at stake and I didnt want a person to lose his job just because of my feedback. I wanted to help her and was hoping that she shows that she can perform. I was ready to take the risk of, she going back to her normal self after a month. She took more than two months with issues still being raised on her work before she was confirmed. My Manager was quite apprehensive and she told clearly: Its either here or there. She cannot be in between.

Quite confidently I gave her the confirmation letter. There was an improvement but not to the level which was required by any associate who is 8 months old in the system. Quite a few days have passed and she has improved even more. I feel satisfied that I took the risk of giving her the confirmation. The issues still persist but I am ready to help her. There were lots of discussions around it but I was firm that she needs to be given a chance to prove and my intuition was strong that she will not prove me wrong. At the end of the day, I feel good. Whenever she sees me, she smiles. Even she is aware how much of effort we have put in, to retain her. I hope that she continues to improve and does better in every phase of her career.

2 comments:

pilot-pooja said...

Really happy to see you back on Blogger!
I'm sure 2008 has lot of pleasant surprises for you, see you just experienced one:-))

Morpheus said...

benefit of doubt...can work sometimes :)