Monday, August 06, 2007

Aunty... Oh No!!!

A few days back I went to meet my school friend who had recently got a baby. I was quite happy since I was meeting her after a year and I wanted to see her baby as well... She was staying with her elder sister's family....

The moment I reached their house, two pretty little girls came out to wish me: Good Evening, Aunty... I was not prepared for this... I was shocked for a moment and then I replied to them... I am not used to being addressed as Aunty.. Its a general term that we use to address any lady that comes to our house and is elder to us... By default, my friends kids call me Masi(Mother's sister)... Obviously, her baby has not started speaking so he would not have called me by any name....

Suddenly I realised that I have grown so big that now I am being addressed as Aunty... I am no longer that young to be addressed as Didi(Elder sister).... Well, it took me few minutes to digest being called as Aunty... Sometimes when I go to the park in my society, I play with the kids... Even they call me Aunty thinking that anyone who is with their mother, needs to be called like that.... A few kids who know me, call me Didi....

On the contrary, people in my office think that I am still at entry level... Many of the employees didnt know that I am a Project Leader and I have work experience with me.. So I am taking out the possibility that I have started to look old enough.. (Feel so happy to write this)... I guess it will take me sometime before I can get used to being a 'Aunty' to every small kid.... May be if I ever have kids, then I can digest it easily....

2 comments:

Achilles said...

...

... ha ha ha ... Life is a big roller coaster ... eh! PG ... ' hope You are enjoying the (thrilling) ride ... i do ... hope You too ...
... n what is this, that You wrote ... " ... 'if' i ever have kids ... " ... ???
... hey! they are the most wonderful thing ... to happen to any one in this world ... ( atleast i believe in that ) ... so cheer up ... n look forward to ... with a smile on your face ... God Bless You ...

... ' ... feel Inspired, ... Always ... ' ...

...

Morpheus said...

It always comes as a shock..did not happen to me..but i was walking with a friend and his neighbours kids said, 'hello uncle' and i had to stop walking, hold my sides and laugh..there was a serial on Zee called Hum Paanch and there was a lady who used to say,'aunty mat kaho'..
take it in your stride girl. Older is better...a bit like wine:)