Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Daffodils


Saw the movie Name Sake by Mira Nair on last Saturday. Very well made. Shall write about it in another post. One thing that the movie reminded me of is the poem: Daffodils. As Tabu tries to recite this, I rememberred having read it in school. Also spring is here and is the perfect time to post this poem.

Daffodils by Williams Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a Cloud
That floats on high o'er Vales and Hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:-
A poet could not but be gay
In such a jocund company:
I gazed-and gazed-but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought
:

For oft when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude,
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the Daffodils.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That single verse of the poem is the attraction in the movie...NameSake sucks, and u never understand when it starts and when it ends and for what the movie was made....This is another futile attempt to exhibit how a indian would always be confused in any other culture..Such movies bring a shame on our indian kins staying abroad....This movie is the worst kinda movie made in the history of the hinglish movies...

Soulmate said...

You may not have liked it, because you didnt understand it... Everyone has his/her own choices.. Its way better than those typical Shahrukh Khan/Karan Johar movies...

Achilles said...

.

dear Soulmate,

... ' oh! daffodils ' n ... the first thing that comes to my mind is ...
...reciting this poem, i won one of my first 'First' prizes at the school ... n though it may sound strange ... however i can still recite the poem ...

well, there is one more thing that comes to my mind ... along with this ... n that is ... my Hindi teacher ... when she saw my performance ... She ... ( n that too against my pleas for mercy ... LoL ) ... at once 'chose' me n made me participate in a debate (in Hindi) ... which was to be held the day after ...
... i simply had no interest ... resultantly ... i couldn't get my (hindi) accent right ... n i fumbled n lost track n spoke of my own ... n finally concluded ... still, much ahead of the prescribed time ... ( LoL )

... ha ha ha ... oh! my God ...
n she couldnot blame me either ... ( LoL ).
(though that was a nice experience ... for it taught me that ... ' uh! don't worry ... just go for it ... n still, You would always live ' ... ha ha ha ... 'thank You maam (sincerely))
___________________________


... n as i grew up ...

i remembered it ... all the while thinking of the possibility of ... finding the place in the description ... one day ... n visiting it ...
n now, i know where exactly it is ... n one fine day ... i would be visiting ... for sure ...
... n if You too, are interested to know ... just refer to ...

http://www.bravehearts.info/Reference/daffodils


with love for all things bright n beautiful,

... Lakhwant.


________end of this message________